If you’re thinking there's a lot involved in setting up a mailing list, you’re right. The good news is that if you have all the steps on how to build an email list for affiliate marketing, then setting things up really isn’t all that difficult.
That’s why I’m sharing this checklist with you.
Why Build a Mailing List?
To answer this question, I want you to think about something...
You're an affiliate marketer... which means that you are promoting products. But you're also a consumer... which means that you have purchased products and services.
I want you to think for a moment... how many times have you purchased something online the minute you're first presented with it.. or even the same day? Chances are not very often. If you did eventually make the purchase, it was probably because the merchant followed-up with you, each time nudging you closer to making the decision to purchase.
Research has shown that it takes an average of seven interactions for most people to buy anything online. This makes it vital to add these visitors to your opt-in list so you can follow up with them, build a relationship so they purchase products through your affiliate links.
If, as an affiliate marketer, you send visitors straight to the merchant's website, there are two scenarios:
- They visit the merchant's website and they don't make a purchase - so you don't get commissions and you don't have any way of following-up with them.
- They visit the merchant's website and make a purchase - in this case, you'll get the commission from the sale, but you've lost the opportunity to follow-up with them and suggest other products and services. The visitor, which was sent by you, is now the merchant's customer.. end of story!
FREE PDF DOWNLOAD
Not meeting your profit expectations with your email listS?
Implement these 31 powerful and proven email marketing tweaks and see your profits from any subscriber list get a quick boost.
How to Build an Email List for Affiliate Marketing
In order to get people on your email list, you're gonna have to offer them something (an incentive). Here's a quick list of the steps involved in setting up a email list.
1. Do Market Research
In order to offer something that your prospects are going to get excited about, you need to figure out what they want.
Here are the steps to take:
2. Create A Lead Magnet
Now that you know what your market wants, it’s time to create a useful, yet incomplete lead magnet that naturally leads to the product you’re promoting.
Next, you need to decide on a format for the lead magnet. This could be an ebook, video, app, ecourse or anything else that has the following characteristics:
- It’s easy to deliver (typically, a digital download that you deliver automatically through your autoresponder).
- It’s something your prospects really want.
- It has a high perceived value.
- It solves a specific problem.
3. Set Up A Lead Capture Page
Now that your lead magnet is complete, you need to create a page that persuades prospects to give you their email in exchange for the lead magnet. This doesn’t need to be long-form copy. Instead, check off these points as you create your lead page:
I highly recommend using Thrive Leads to create your lead capture pages. You'll be able to quickly create professional-looking lead-capture pages.
4. Set Up Your Autoresponder
Now you need to set up an autoresponder. Check these points:
5. A Commitment to Maintaining Your List
It does you no good to go through all these steps if you don’t intend to email your list regularly. So, commit to emailing them on a weekly basis at least.